- This event has passed.
Second Nyéléni Europe Forum for Food Sovereignty
26/10/2016 - 30/10/2016
The second Nyéléni Europe Forum for Food Sovereignty will take place in Cluj-Napoca, Romania, from 26th – 30th of October 2016. Read the call to see how to get involved in the preparations and how to participate in the conference.
The Nyéléni Forum brings together farmers, fishers, pastoralists, indigenous peoples, consumers, NGOs, trade unions, environmental, development, research and justice/solidarity/human rights organisations, community-based food movements and others, to enhance existing food sovereignty initiatives and strengthen our work at local, national, regional and global levels.
This is a mobilisation call for participation for the 2nd Nyéléni Europe Forum for Food Sovereignty. It will be organised around 5 thematic axes (changing how food is produced and consumed, changing how food is distributed, valuing work and improving social conditions in food & agricultural systems, reclaiming the right to natural resources and the Commons, changing public policies governing our food and agricultural systems) and oriented towards 4 goals (experience sharing, build on our common understanding of Food Sovereignty in Europe, develop a Strategy and Action Plan to strengthen and enlarge the Food Sovereignty movement in Europe, influence and advocate for policies that support Food Sovereignty in Europe).
Let’s get involved! Some 700 – 1,000 participants who work on food sovereignty, from the entire pan-European area of 42 countries, will come together in Cluj-Napoca from 26th – 30th of October 2016. In order to ensure balance among delegates, representative of all those who are involved in food and agriculture across Europe, participation in the Forum will be organised on the basis of a quota system for the various constituencies. This will include gender balance. There will be a limit to the size of national delegations.
The preparatory process leading up to the Nyéléni Europe Forum and the involvement of all those who are active in the Food Sovereignty Movement in Europe are key to ensuring the success of the Forum. There are different ways for you to become part of the process/movement:
- Get involved in a general way: if you are interested in the preparatory process or just want to know more, you can sign up for the newsletter and further information
- Help build the national delegations: if you are already involved in the Food Sovereignty movement, then get engaged in the national preparatory process, or through your constituency. Focal points will be defined in each country. If you are interested in being a focal point, please contact info[at]nyelenieurope.net
- Hold preparatory meetings and discussions: organise discussions, forums, meetings, locally or nationally. These will feed into the content of the Forum itself, and also help to build stronger working links for the future.
- Organise fundraising at national level: to contribute – according to capacity – to the cost of participation and if possible to the general budget of the Forum.
- Participate in the Working Groups to help organise the Forum: there is an existing coordination committee and five working groups (task team, communications, methodology, finance and logistics). The coordination committee reflects a balance between the different constituencies. The working groups are open to anyone. If you want to get involved contact info[at]nyelenieurope.netFor any enquiries or proposals, you are welcome to contact info[at]nyelenieurope.net
The Nyéléni Europe Coordination Committee
– – – – – –
The Nyéléni Forum is supported by the Hands on the Land Campaign, an education and awareness raising campaign carried out with financial support of the EC.